Advertisement

Clozapine paper

Started by September 19, 2024 05:26 PM
9 comments, last by taby 1 hour, 49 minutes ago

A team, including me, have published a paper in the British Journal of Psychiatry. The paper goes to show that clozapine is better than seroquel at keeping schizophrenics away from the hospital. Of course, there are side-effects, and blood must be sampled every few weeks to ensure that the blood cell count is not drastically altered.

Any schizos here, other than myself? ;)

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/the-british-journal-of-psychiatry/article/clozapine-relapse-and-adverse-events-a-10year-electronic-cohort-study-in-canada/7ACB518DAE4AECC9694BDE922A99E688

Congrats on getting your paper published!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

Thank you! It’s my first published paper. I did the data conversion / metadata creation in C++ using 100MB CSV files. I didn’t know about SQLite back then! I tried to get a MySQL server up and running, but the help desk people quashed that idea LOL

My old boss did up the paper. The others contributed too. Hopefully I get an invitation to the staff Christmas luncheon again this year! I worked 100% remotely, so I haven’t actually met my other coauthors yet.

P.S. oops, this is my second published paper. I forgot about the medicine gaps paper at:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35782434/

No-one would take it if they didnt ram it down peoples throats like they do.

+1 what @MagnusWootton said.

I guess it makes sense on these lines:

a) clozapine makes you more or less a vegetable

b) vegetables don't really relapse into psychosis to warrant hospitalization any more …

c) victory!

I don't dispute the validity of the paper but man it's easy to slam a title like “clozapine keeps schizophrenics out of the hospitals”. This is derogatory to people who live with schizophrenia and assumes staying out of the hospital is the best thing one can achieve when having a mental illness.

My humble opinion: it's not. This kind of research feels like what I'll hear from the next psychiatrist who has no clue what “quality of life” means about his patients.

ps. I totally don't want to start a debate here, I think I got a bit worked up by the tone of the initial post. I am sure there's plenty of people who need Clozapine to have their best versions of life, hopefully as a last resort

Advertisement

Clozapine has killed people before. Who even cares about that.

MagnusWootton said:

No-one would take it if they didnt ram it down peoples throats like they do.

I was hallucinating. It was beneficial.

dotnka said:

+1 what @MagnusWootton said.

I guess it makes sense on these lines:

a) clozapine makes you more or less a vegetable

b) vegetables don't really relapse into psychosis to warrant hospitalization any more …

c) victory!

I don't dispute the validity of the paper but man it's easy to slam a title like “clozapine keeps schizophrenics out of the hospitals”. This is derogatory to people who live with schizophrenia and assumes staying out of the hospital is the best thing one can achieve when having a mental illness.

My humble opinion: it's not. This kind of research feels like what I'll hear from the next psychiatrist who has no clue what “quality of life” means about his patients.

ps. I totally don't want to start a debate here, I think I got a bit worked up by the tone of the initial post. I am sure there's plenty of people who need Clozapine to have their best versions of life, hopefully as a last resort

This is why I take clozapine at bedtime, like a lot of other schizophrenics.

You're actually disputing the fact that outpatient services are more affordable and effective than hospitalizations, in general, not just for schizophrenics?

Did you miss the part where I told you that I've got schizophrenia?

MagnusWootton said:

Clozapine has killed people before. Who even cares about that.

Well, of course I care in general. Where did this happen? Was it a blood-related illness?

Advertisement